Thursday, February 1, 2007

Gadfly: An unfinished project

One of the most interesting people I've ever met in my life is a man I would simply call "Gadfly". Sir Gadfly is a man of the world. He is quite enigmatic, yet can charm anyone who enters into his realm of existence. He is down-to-earth, kind, yet elegant and straighforward. He always stirs people's mind and cause them to think (atleast the few that will actually stop and contemplate on what he just said.)

He makes me want to be a better student. A better informed individual. He is about 50 years older than I am, I think... this is just a guess. So I have about 50 years of knowledge to fill into my tiny brain. Each word I utter seem unintelligent and I don't get intimidated by a lot of people, but Sir Gadfly intimidates the heck out of me. He is a mystery I want to solve. A grandfather I want to adopt. Yet at the same time, he keeps his distance and remains mysterious and hidden to the world somehow.

From my talks with him and the questions I subtly ask, here is some information I gathered: he is a journalist, an author, a teacher, a father, a grandfather, an orator but most of all a visionary. True great leaders are men of vision. And this man is certainly a man of vision.

Socrates, the original gadfly, simply wanedt to ask questions and let other people come up with the answer. He flies from one place to another, sometimes seen as a pest, a nuisance, a troublemaker. Many people would come and go into the world, but only a few makes an impact and changes history. Sir Gadfly is one of them.

No comments: